Search FontMaster

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Updated Font: SDSU Collegiate

Updated Freeware Black/Heavy Slab Display Caps PC & Web Font: SDSU Collegiate



SDSU Collegiate Font Download Page

As this font has become a popular downloaded freeware TTF PC & web font at Font-Journal.com, I decided that I needed to update it.  In the above example graphic, the older character set is used, which I created in 2104.  

This is a black or heavy slab font that lends itself well to collegiate sports, such as football and basketball (etc...) jersey lettering and numbers.  This is why the font specifically did not have any extra punctuation in the first place.  

This font easily reproduces the SDSU printed logo used widely on sports gear.  To recreate the SDSU logo, you must use the lowercase set of capitals in a deep blue, with a yellow outline (the school colors).  Of course, there are a number of variations on that theme, too.

SDSU is the home of the Jackrabbits and have been well known for their basketball teams, but their football program and other sports are extremely competitive, as well (a bit more on that, later..).

Once that SDSU Collegiate showed-up on Font Journal's 'most downloaded' list, I decided that for the convenience of anyone wanting to use the font for more, I would include a basic punctuation and symbols set.  

The font's original character set is given again below (old version, then updated), for comparison...


I never would've dreamt that this display caps font would become so popular.  But it has (at least on my site), so I decided I needed to update the font so that it included a more complete character set to support the basic English language with more punctuation, because I don't want to make using it rough on anyone...

SDSU Collegiate Font Download Page

The original font was created on March 20th, 2014.  I finished updating it with punctuation and symbols on October 6th, 2016.  I have also now expressly given my permission to use this font online on your website or blog as a free web font with this update, especially now that there is punctuation available.  My guess is that most might just be using it for sports jerseys?

This is also a modular font.  If it matters, modular fonts are optimized for Flash, but Flash seems to losing support on the web, though I am sure it must be used in professional animation and video production, still.

As noted, this font, SDSU Collegiate, was originally inspired by the SDSU logo on South Dakota State University jerseys and school booster wear & gear.  This update is publicly released on Font Journal on October 18th, 2016, to celebrate the SDSU Jackrabbits winning the Dakota Marker football game against number 1 ranked NCAA Division 1 FCS team North Dakota State University (the NDSU Bison) on Saturday, October 15th, 2016.

This game's trophy is a stone marker that was once used to mark the dividing border between South and North Dakota, and at least to the two schools (SDSU & NDSU), it really is a big deal.  It's been a long time since SDSU brought that marker home and we are quite proud to have it.

As I have said, I had no idea that so many would download this font, and so this update was merely for the convenience of the users of the font.  Below is a complete look at all the supported characters in the SDSU Collegiate TTF PC & web font:


SDSU Collegiate Font Download Page
While the newly updated font character set pretty much stays true to the original font and simply adds punctuation, as I looked at the character set above I wanted to make a few improvements.

But as the font had already proven itself as a popular download, I decided to make another version of the font and work on the changes I was thinking of, there.  So I wound-up creating "SDSU Collegiate V2", and then I made another, "SDSU Collegiate V2 Extended".   I will be introducing these fonts here on my blog soon, once I get the distribution archive text files buttoned-up, the archives zipped-up, and then the distribution archives uploaded to Font-Journal.com.

LOL... as soon as I am done with this post, Blogger refuses to act nice and save it.  There is so much to be said about hosting your own blog/website.

No comments:

Post a Comment